If your child has a disability or long-term health condition then you are likely to require additional help with family life. The Social Work department of your local authority has a duty to assess the needs of your child. This is called a Section 23 Assessment, which refers to the relevant section of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995. Most local authorities have a social work team which is dedicated to working with children with disabilities and you will find their contact details on your council’s website or through Directory Enquiries.  Social work departments usually have ‘eligibility criteria’ for deciding which children will receive services and how much support will be provided depending on the level of need. Be prepared for a bit of a wait for an assessment. A social worker will come to your home to assess your child’s needs. The assessment will be based on a range of factors such as your child’s health and behaviour, but also your family circumstances and your home environment.